Even still 6 cat sailors came down. Bob Porter Snr and Jnr came for duty. Tony Sanderson, Paul English, ever young Bill Ledger and myself with catamarans in tow. After some discussion watching the stiff westerly breeze whipping up white caps it was decided to head indoors. With a couple of the fellas lending a hand a nice hamburger feed was had by the patrons. Tony Zahra rang a little dusty still recovering from a 3am finish last night celebrating Amie’s engagement party. Aimie putting in a guest appearance around lunch time to pick up some left over drinks from her party.
The wind coming and going in typical westerly gusts showed promise of a challenging sail. At the briefing it was with some disappointment for some and relief for others that it was decided to pull the pin and cancel sailing for the day due to strong winds forecast.
Make sure you come along next week to participate at 11am AGM next week.
Trevor mentioned that still needing further volunteers for the TY regatta to lend a helping hand.
Paul English advised that large cat numbers would be down in the near future with Les Porter over seas for a few weeks, Paul English away next week, Johny Porter away. Bob Porter snr & Jnr sailing the TY before the TY regatta, Kurt looking to step into small cats and Ross Boyd not sailing this season.
Hence it was suggested that combine small and large cat starts if less that 3 large cats. Still run a large cat and small cat point score as it was hoped that numbers would grow as the season progressed with Tim Makepeace, Bob Porter jnr & Johhny, Les Porter, and possibly the Southern Highlands large cat.
After Trevors good advice that better to come back next week. The other TY’s de-rigged. However Trevor and crew noted a lull in conditions and decided to go out. When on the water I think they had the pleasure of some 30 plus knot gusts and even a rain squall capped off with 6.3 degrees wind chill temperature before making it back to shore to thaw out and dry off.
Meanwhile I assisted Tony Sanderson rig up his newly refurbished Windrush nicely painted, various new rigging components. Nicely installed bulk heads. Once mast was installed and main sail hoisted the wind started swinging around to the south and picking up to around the 20 knot mark and cooling off significantly. It was at the point we decided to derig again and pack the boat away. Going inside for a coffee to warm up. It was around 3:30pm Trevor was seen heading back in so Tony and I followed Richard Hipsley out to give Trevor a hand manoeuvring his TY in the stiff breeze safely back onto the trailer.