How can I begin to describe Saturday’s race. It wasn’t sunny, but it didn’t rain until we were on shore. It wasn’t too hot or too cold, and it wasn’t too windy. You could say that conditions were good. The only criticism I could make is that there were no other TYs, Just Peter and new crew Ian and me aboard Frou Frou. I understand how John and Helen may have felt sailing the short course against themselves last race. It was rather pleasant really, A very good day for a shakedown race. What I did find interesting was that, even though there were no other TYs to compete against, we were in race mode. The start even though we had it to ourselves, was timed and contested to cross at the favoured end on the hooter. Every tack was important. Every wind shift considered. The sails tweaked for every change in wind strength. Every spinnaker hoist and retrieval performed as fast as we could, and, every mark rounded as close as possible. We had fun, but, it was still a race and we were serious about doing well.
As it so happened we did do well first across the line, first on handicap and first on CBH. I fear we will need to sharpen up a little if we are to repeat today’s race results when pitted against our normal high quality Port Kembla TY competition.
All in all a great day on the water. Hopefully though, next Saturday we will have company on the water, then it will be even better.
This Season Up-coming TY events:
• 10 – 11 November, Jervis Bay regatta, race 1 of the TY Southern Zone Series.
• 1 December, PKSC night race.
• 15 December President verses Secretary teams, and Santa.
• 2 – 3 February, St Georges Basin regatta, race 2 TY Southern Zone Series.
• 16 – 17 February, Lord Mayors Cup Lake Illawarra Yacht Club, Race 3 TY Southern Zone Series.
• 16 – 17 March, Marley Point Overnight Race, and, Wallagoot Lake Regatta.
• 24 March, Wollongong Yacht Club Offshore Race, race 4 TY Southern Zone Series.
• 4 – 5 May, Bay to Bay Race.
If there is an event you would like me to mention please let me know.
The end Trev.